Saturday, November 13, 2010

Material Culture Minute: "I got you a present."

Actually, my boyfriend got me two presents today:


One earthenware (lusterware) jug or pitcher, circa 1840-1860, and one small printed plate, 1882. Both are English. I won't go into how lusterware is decorated...suffice it to say that I had nightmares about remembering the details of the technique the night before my ceramics and glass exam. The small plate features a farm scene. It goes with my Berlin work farm house. They're not in the best condition, but, heck -- total cost? $1.80...in coins...from the cracks of his car seats.

What does this mean? There are treasures to be found at roadside yard sales.

1 comment:

  1. The sad thing is he probably had several more dollars in coins hiding in his car seats after he bought those. :)

    ReplyDelete