Saturday, December 11, 2010

Material Culture Minute: Unworthy Candidate for the Belolan Collection of Empty Space

My boyfriend's classmate notified us of several weakened tag sale and estate sale options via email over the past few days.  Ultimately, we passed-up the New Jersey sale featuring "1729 pirates chest" and "parts of the Ford's Theater where Abe Lincon was shot, and the pistal," and we dragged ourselves out of bed at 7:10 AM for a local tag sale in a nice neighborhood.  I was skeptical from the beginning, as the sale was not run by an estate sale or liquidation sale company.  The notice discouraged people to arrive days beforehand (although one in my group did), and it also noted that customers should bring their own bags and packing supplies.  As we stood outside in the cold along with about 30 other folks, I speculated that most of the objects would be over-priced, and of course, they were.  $6,000 chairs, $600 tables, $300 lap desk...and nothing had that special something (I didn't see many other prospective buyers leaving with anything, either).  While walking through the dining room, a friend commented sarcastically, "Man, I'm glad I woke-up early for this sale."  I was barely tempted by anything save a late nineteenth-, early twentieth-century leather hat box in poor condition ($40).  My boyfriend noted that it would have been an unworthy addition to the Belolan Collection of Empty Space. (I have a penchant for boxes of all kinds--including case furniture [if you're not sure what to get me for Christmas]). 

Despite the let-down, it was certainly fun and interesting to see what is out there on the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment