Monday, December 12, 2016

We Bought a House

Shuffling back to our car last April in Old City Philadelphia after visiting the supposed (I should just believe the sign) last remaining steps to the Delaware River waterfront "commissioned by William Penn," as the Pennsylvania historical marker explained to us, and the Powel House, some thoughts on which I shared on my other blog, we did what so many Americans do: we bought a house we could not afford.

Smelly (the previous owners had been smokers) and in disrepair, we (mostly me) could not resist its siren song: a closed floor plan, a lush yard, and minimal street noise. We want all these things in a home.

But most importantly, I could not resist its mystery. Where had it been? Who loved it before I did? Was it ever real? And what was inside?




No comments:

Post a Comment